This is the personal photography blog of Bailey Munson.
Be sure to check out my website here and be sure to like my facebook page!

Follow on Bloglovin


Wednesday, March 5, 2014

WHY YOU SHOULD ALWAYS KEEP EVERY PHOTO UNTIL YOU GET HOME

I'm an avid post-set photo deleter. I'll skim through my shots on my camera and delete any of the ones that I know for sure cannot possibly be good photos. Accidental ground shots, out-of-focus drummers, overexposed catch flash, you know the usual suspects. That's all fun and efficient but once you get going it's hard to stop. I find myself deleting photos that could have possibly been okay after post-processing. I end up deleting things that looked really, really awesome SOOC. Things go downhill fast. So unless you really need to open up some card space, leave the deleting and sifting through your photos until after you get home.

Need an example? Here:


I don't know what this picture is. I don't remember framing it in my mind. I don't remember taking it. I don't remember anything about it. It's been thrown into my 'accident' pile. If I had checked my camera post-set to delete the other 'accidents', this probably would have been grouped in and would have been gone before I even knew what I had.

I got home and opened Lightroom. Right arrow, right arrow, delete, right arrow, WOW. What is this? I fixed some settings and exported as JPEG. Brought it into Photoshop and immediately cropped it and threw it into B&W and just kind of sat back in awe. This is one of my favorite shots I've ever taken. and it came from a supposed accident. I finished up my editing and got so excited to share it. I want to frame it. I want to hang it on my walls. I want it as my phone background. I want it everywhere at all times for the rest of my life.

So take this as a lesson to not delete photos prematurely because if I had I would not have had this killer shot of Tony from MKTO to show with my work. and man, would that be a shame.

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment